Thursday, June 19, 2008

Chicago - Day 1

Taking the green line from IIT, transfer at Roosevelt to Red, dismount at Chicago. The walk to Avenue Hotel is pretty taxing since the weather is warming up again.

After checking in, I decided to tour around the premise. Apparently the penthouse on 40th floor is under construction and no one bother to lock the door, so I help myself in. The view is facing the lake and extremely gorgeous. The pool, located at the same floor, is alright. I decided to move on since I need to scout the city.

Do a quick city tour, visit Hancock Tower, water tower, up and down along Chicago Blvd until 12:30PM, take the train to Midway to pick up Ida. By the time we are back I hope that there are rooms available on the upper floor, but apparently most of them have been taken. The manager told me to come back to the front desk around 4.

To pass the hour, we decided to go to have the "Chicago" hotdog, and the concierge pointed us to Portillo's, which is pretty festive and interesting.

By 4PM room transfer is done. We have the 38th floor, the view is better and although the manager told me that there is a possible construction noise from the top, we don't (and won't) hear anything, in fact, we couldn't head the construction noise from the ground floor (unlike the 28th floor) anymore. Talk about weird ...

Tonight we go to Café Spiaggia Restaurant, everything is good, except my own food. The veal is fatty, I was warned and I am fine with it. It is nice that the veal is fatty since the skin and fat is crusting very well, but the meat is dry. I am not enjoying my meal, but I do enjoy the Navy Pier though. It is good to view Chicago from the pier at night.

No comments: