Friday, February 1, 2008

Functional Tester Mess

Today, I start tackling the project of cleaning up the mess (RFT scripts). Apparently the spring arrives early this year.

This project has been going on and off for more than a year now. It began when the company bought unlimited RFT license for us to use, but the implementation was limited to little projects since we had legacy scripts (WinRunner) in production.

From the technical stand point, I would like to start porting the legacy scripts to RFT ASAP since: RFT is architecturally superior. Since it is basically Java using RFT classes, RFT offers extensibility by importing 3rd party classes/libraries. It is painful to import libraries in WinRunner, instead of writing dll, I opted to use Perl.

But there were several problems:
  1. RFT 6 wasn't very stable - yet.
  2. I didn't have time.
With the downturn of real estate business, it was prudent for us to terminate the WinRunner support, and we have been pretty lucky with the subsequent WinRunner releases since we are flying solo without ground support so far. To eliminate the possibility of us needing WinRunner support, it is time for to port the WinRunner script to RFT.

Started looking for what I have been missing and apparently what I have written one year ago is looking back at me. omg!

No comments: